29.1.12

One Word: Respect

You know those days? Ya know, those ones. They usually involve a moody teenage girl and a mom who is goin' crazy. Yesterday was one of those days. But the hardness of the day brought to light a problem that I have. Something I need to work on. RESPECT.

re·spect[ri-spekt] noun

1.
esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
2.
deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
3.
the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.


I love my mom. But sometimes I have the problem of expected things of her. For example: I have made a commitment to go to basketball practice. This week our Monday practice was changed to a later time, so I basically notified my mom and expected her to drive me all the way back to school, on Family Night, so that I could be at practice.

Note: mom would have driven me to that practice, if I had thought about what it meant for the family, considered other people's feelings and commitments, and thoughtfully asked my mom instead of expecting her to drive me.

Girls, there isn't much that is more attractive then a guy who treats his mom with respect. If we want a respectful guy we have to be respectful girls.

You wouldn't be here if it weren't for your mom. Treat her with respect.

The same goes for dads. And siblings. And friends. Everyone around you deserves respect. They deserve acknowledgment. You owe it to them.

Be respectful. The world will love you for it.

Loves,
Emma Caroline

1 comment: